The Bosch 12V MAX I-Drive is my preferred driver when working on light-duty projects. The low rpms, low torque, and 7 position clutch makes the driver easy to control, while avoiding the risk of over-driving a fastener.
If you intend to do: extensive framing, major deck work, or hard material drilling, you will have to consider another tool for your budget. Otherwise, for both homeowners and professionals alike wanting a user-friendly tool, this driver will meet your demands.
There’s a lot to like!
Controlled power. Rotating head. Lightweight. The MAX I-Driver’s versatility makes it the perfect go-to driver in the garage or home. Quickly remove automotive covers and panels. Assembling that new piece of furniture will take a fraction of the time compared to a manual driver.
When there’s maintenance, upgrades, and light-duty construction to perform involving a fastener, your I-Driver will deliver a needed helping hand.
- Compact – 11 ½” with head positioned inline with body. Head is only 3 ⅝” wide when positioned at 90-degree.
- 90-Degree articulating head – Rotates and locks into five positions for increased versatility.
- Driver and drill – ¼” quick change hex locking chuck that can be used for driver bits and hex based drill bits.
- Reliable – For personal home use, this drill should last you many years, as it has for me.
- Cost-effective – With the many jobs that can be achieved, cost is easily justified.
**For drilling purposes. Brands like Snappy or Insty Bit make ¼” hex base bits that can be bought in convenient sets with storage cases.
Take on small jobs of all kinds
Bosch states their I-Driver “drives 100 x 3 in. screws per battery charge”. When using common #10 – 3″ long framing screws, we found this statement to be true enough. Results will vary based on overall life of battery and materials used.
Need to drill a few holes? Using a ¼” wood bit; I could drill several dozen 3″ deep holes in dry pine. Smaller diameter drill bits will allow even more use per battery charge.
**Dry and soft lumber is key to the capabilities listed. Wet wood or hardwood of any kind highlights the low torque (80 in. lbs.) immediately, and you’ll be looking for a more powerful driver.
Great for many tasks, but not all
Limited by low torque and rpms. The I-Driver will fail to deliver when attempting heavy-duty projects that require a tool with much more oomph.
- Hit a knot in the wood and the I-Driver is stopped dead in its tracks.
- Even a small ⅜” spade bit is quickly halted.
- Can only handle drilling with up to ¼” drill bits.